Our political divisions in America have escalated to the point that it has become increasingly difficult to get along with people who disagree with us politically. The rage, rancor, and raucous demeanor of many who are supposed to be professional lawmakers and government leaders has bled over into mainstream America. We have lost all resemblance of civility. We’ve forgotten how to have a good passionate debate without leaving as friends and as human beings.

     God sees all this and his word does not change regardless of our gargantuan failures. He still tells us to love our enemies. We see someone and our first thought is, “Man, I can’t stand that person! They are so hateful.” We say this as we adjust our self righteous crown. You would think we were looking in the mirror. 

     When we say such things we may not realize that we have just openly stated our own hatred for one of God’s creation. Sometimes the things God asks of us are extremely difficult and can seem like impossibilities. Just because it is hard to do is no excuse to not do it. You see when we learn to love our enemies and to do good to them instead of evil we are actually acting like our Heavenly Father. He causes the rain to fall on both the good and the bad.

     Here’s the catch. We are more than likely somebody’s enemy. Someone doesn’t like us, despises us, disagrees with us, doesn’t think like us, doesn’t vote like us. I would want them to treat me with kindness and respect as a human being and not treat me like a Neanderthal. It’s quite possible that I may actually be wrong in my opinions! Shutter the thought.

     Bottom line is that I need to treat others in the same way I would want to be treated when the shoe is on the other foot. If you consider me your enemy then I am truly sorry you feel that way but I would hope you could find it in your heart to still love me and treat me with kindness. There is a one in a million chance I may actually be wrong! It’s God’s way. Love God, love others. Especially those you disagree with.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog