My dad was my hero growing up. One of my favorite things was when he asked me to do a chore and I would sort of fumble it around and he would see me and before I knew it he was showing me how to do it and often ended up doing the whole chore! I did that as often as I could get away with it until dad figured out what I was doing. He had specific requirements when it came to chores. He wanted it done but it had to be done a certain way. I am on the other side of that spectrum because I don’t care how you do it as long as it gets done.

     There are certain things in life that must be done very specifically but more often than not that is not the case for everyday things. I know there are plenty of you out there that must fold your towels a certain way only. I’ll pray for you. Today’s verse tells us that God has three requirements of us. Do what is right to others. Be kind to others. Live in humility. Considering the fact that there were over 600 rules and regulations governing service and worship in the Old Testament it comes as a refreshing surprise that he gives us only three things to focus our lives on.

     They sound pretty simple enough. Surely we can do these everyday. How hard can it be? Apparently they are more difficult than they first appear. So much so, that God sent his son Jesus to demonstrate what it looked like. He showed us how to treat others. How he welcomed the outcasts, how he treated the downtrodden, how he befriended sinners. It’s all about how we treat others with love. He demonstrated that kind of love that lays down its life for others. He didn’t just tell us what was required of us. He went all the way to the cross to show what that kind of selfless living looked like. Believe it or not there is more than one way to fold a towel. There are, however, plenty of ways to do what is right, be kind, and walk in humility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog