Cookies!


 I made some chocolate chip cookies the other day and they were all flat and horrible. I’ve made chocolate chip cookies before many times so why the catastrophic failure this time? I thought I knew how to do it so I didn’t read the directions and just winged it. I had all the right ingredients in all the right proportions and even baked them at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes until golden brown. It turns out I missed a step in the preparations and ended up with my chocolate chip cookie craving unsatisfied.


Directions. We sometimes don’t like to follow directions because we think we know better or maybe we think we can make it better by adding or omitting a few steps in the process. Like when we put something together from IKEA and we have a few spare parts leftover. Or we throw out the packaging and then go dig it out of the trash several times because we forgot something in the instructions.


Life is too precious to leave it to chance. Especially since we have a life instruction manual readily available. Even better is that we have the author of the guide willing to aid us in all the pesky little details we like to skip over so much. 


You see I am a “fly by the seat of my pants “ kinda guy. I am also a great planner. A few times we got in the car and just drove until we found something interesting. Other times we’ve planned each stop along the way. 


2020 has been a wild ride in more ways than one. I’ve had to take each day asking for directions. I am so thankful that His mercies are new every morning. I’ve tried to stop worrying so much if my good planning didn’t turn out like I thought it would. I’m also thankful for all the good surprises I’ve enjoyed this year. So whether I end up winging it or waiting patiently for direction I know he will see me through 2021. I know I can trust Him with my future because of His unfailing love for me. 


I think I’m ready to try making some chocolate chip cookies again! I think I’m ready for a new adventure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog