Kids are incredibly imaginative and creative. A simple stick becomes a sword one minute and a shotgun the next. If need requires it then becomes a magic wand magically rendering enemy attacks futile. Of course as a last resort it can be just a stick to whack your opponents with. It’s amazing what we can come up with as children.

     As adults we discover we don’t need a stick at all because our words can do substantial damage to another human beings sense of self worth. You remember the old saying, “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.” Turns out that was a lie. In fact words can inflict damage that can require years of professional counseling to overcome. We have an unseen enemy that wants to destroy us in every possible way. He will stoop to any level to hurt us. He will dream up new schemes, invent new weapons and speak any lie imaginable in an attempt to bring us down. He is our arch enemy the devil and his cohorts.

     Today’s verse reminds us that we are more than conquerors through Jesus Christ. He gives us a promise that no weapon made to attack us will be successful. He also promises that slander spoken against will in the end fail. When we focus our lives on the promises of God’s word we will draw strength and encouragement for the battle. His word is a sword when spoken with faith over our struggles. His word is a light to direct my path in the darkest places. His word is bread to my soul and it nourishes me. His word is my shield to protect me from slander and lies spoken against me. His word will transform my speech so that it brings blessing and life to those around me.

     Sticks, stones, and words can all hurt or they can all be used to build something good. Choose your weapon wisely today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog